Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trip to L'Hermitage

Greeting from Russia, friends!

I would like to quickly relate an excursion to a wonderful museum before my class begins!

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit L’Hermitage which contains a fantastic collection of assorted artistic mediums from Ancient Egyptian sculptures to Renaissance era paintings.

The trip started by a walk through the museum’s pavilion.

Met with a startling sight, I couldn’t believe my eyes: in front of me rested a baby bear drinking orange juice from a bottle.

I couldn’t believe this.

While the bear was cute, I approached with caution. Its furry brown coat matched its chestnut colored eyes as it clutched a bluish bottle. A crowd gathered as its owner allowed an individual to feed and hug the bear for the mere price of 200 Rubles.

As I was slightly apprehensive about hugging a bear (and I really didn’t want to pay 200 Rubles), I nonchalantly wandered towards the back as a member of the group quickly snapped my photo.

After the excitement of seeing the baby bear passed, I entered L’Hermitage.

It was a wonderful sight! Stately facades covered the interiors as crystal chandeliers hung like angelic orbs from the ceiling. Once a residence to the czars, L’Hermitage conveys the epitome of elegance and refinement.

As I opened the floor plan, my heart stopped. I couldn’t believe it. This was even bigger than seeing a baby bear drink orange juice from a bottle. The painting, The Return of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt stared back at me under “points of interest” at L’Hermitage.

I love this painting.

I have studied this image only as a slide projected on a white board during Art History classes.

I couldn’t believe I would actually see the image.

Depicting the biblical tale of a son returning to his father, the painting portrays an eloquent expression of forgiveness and redemption.

As this painting holds a personal meaning, I ran to the second floor, plowed through the crowd and pushed my way to the front to admire its beauty, quality and meaning.

I wish I could speak more of this beautiful painting however, I must be off to class!

I hope you return for more updates on my journey in St. Petersburg, Russia!

Many, many hugs to Grant! I can't wait to see you!

Much love,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment